• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!

Why “Old-School” servers don’t really work

DonVic

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! First of all, let me state that this is not a hate post against old-school servers.

I just came to a realization, I think I understood why these servers don’t do the trick, they never really fill me up with the same feelings as old Tibia used to do.

I’ve tried many, I’d say most of them, and some are incredibly well done, others are almost identical to how RL Tibia used to be, and others are complete messes, the thing is.. they never really fill me up, none of them. And I never really knew why until now.

Old RL Tibia was magical because it was new, it was unexplored, and it felt mysterious.

As we were younger and unexperienced with OTservs, we never really grasped on how Tibia worked, we didn’t know how clueless CipSoft is about their own game. Exploring Tibia felt magical, training for hours with slimes wasn’t so tedious because we knew the reward (higher skills) was worth it at the time, even wasting time in the depot spamming the Trade channel wasn’t a pain in the ass.

But now? We all know Tibia’s RL map, specially the old versions, we know that there are not really mysteries in Tibia, most of the so call “Misteriandos” are no more than bugs, CipSoft’s lazy solutions to problems, or just unfinished quests.

We now know how a server works so well, that we don’t really get impressed when a server manages to implement something new.

We think we crave spending hours rune making, being killed by a high lvl spamming Exevo Gran Mas Vis next to the Thais depot, but we don’t, we crave the novelty, we crave the exporing, the learning. That’s what made Tibia so special.

I’m not writing this to throw shit onto old-school servers, I just wanted to point something we most know but ignore, and maybe someone can find a way to make old-school servers as engaging as old Tibia was.

Have a good weekend, people, and happy Valentines.
(I fucking hate these hearts in the screen, annoying af, ffs).

FenX

Advanced OT User
Solutions
Reaction score
You are absolutely right and I personally think nothing can replace or repeat that nostalgic feeling. People are stuck in the past and are desperately trying to revisit the old times where in reality like you're saying, what was great about it was the magical exploration feeling, being young, playing a cool game, interacting with people and finding things that were completely new to us. Not to mention that those old times were pretty much the beginning of gaming. Companies & people have ran out of ideas or just fail at executing them. Most things are driven by money and not the idea of trying to evolve & improve things sadly, this relates to a lot of things even in the real world.

These days majority of game communities are toxic to levels that are just disgusting. People dox others for their own benefit, people scam, hack accounts, botting & cheating is a big part too. Just pushes a lot of players away that would potentially be dedicated and loyal to a server. Another thing is "seasons". Even this community has gone down this route of having "seasons", battlepasses and all that nonsense just to make an extra coin. There are a lot of players who enjoy certain servers but do not commit since the server will reset in a bit of time, which for hardcore grinders is a big push away.

Anyways, went off topic slightly...

I just think it's a lazy mindset people have...oldschool data packs are very easy to configure and launch for the public. I've had couple of experiences where I helped with a small portion of mapping or balaning equipment in projects where the sole purpose of the launch was to make a quick coin whether the server would last or not. No real passion or dedication put into them.

Although there are plenty amazing projects that are in the oldschool style and really do try to create something amazing, they're just ain't for me and I feel like I'm not the only one in this boat.

My tip to everybody who's starting out and thinking of creating their own server:
Create something based on your own likings, something that if you found released for the public, you would actually play it yourself. Don't be driven by money and the idea of appealing to others, appeal to yourself first and people will catch on that you're passionate about what you're doing and jump on the ride with you. And I understand a lot of people might be into the whole oldschool era but it's like trying to hold onto an old spoon, that's rusty & dented just only because the meals you've had with it before were great. Get a new spoon, you're limiting the chances and possibilites just by trying to hold onto the past.

(You can turn the holiday effect off 😁 in settings)

Worr

Veteran OT User
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like the actual reason though.

Nostalgia comes afterwards. It's the feeling of booting up a game you used to play as a kid.
Being nostalgic about it won't get you hooked for years to come; that comes from something else.

Happy valentines day!

Michael 4463

Premium User
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
Nostalgia only gets you so far
Recreating that feeling of adventure, danger and community is crucial
If you are interested in taking a look at a project that is trying to do exactly that, I suggest you check out dura-online (links in my sig)

As per usual I am sure people will jump on this as an opportunity to attack the integrity of Dura and our mission, but you seem interested enough and I'd love for you to take a look and maybe even send some thoughts through to me in private if you like.

krafttomten

Reaction score
Make a good story and people will like it. Tibia still has the same potential for conveying a good story as it did when the game was originally released. People seem obsessed with conveying old stories in pursuit of nostalgia.. Chasing those old memories...

pink_panther

Premium User
Premium User
Solutions
Reaction score
You can't bring back that original feeling, but I have tried to bring back a lot of old things from Tibia in my server.