• There is NO official Otland's Discord server and NO official Otland's server list. The Otland's Staff does not manage any Discord server or server list. Moderators or administrator of any Discord server or server lists have NO connection to the Otland's Staff. Do not get scammed!
So far so good, my thoughts and progression so far.

first session: ~2hours
I made myself Paladin named Pally.
When you start server you will be directed to kill some worms. From the worm killing i realised:
1. Close range monsters will be easy to handle in open or circular space.
2. Paladins will be requiring restocking quite often. (i ran out of projectiles on first task and had to find paladin shop)

I explored town a little, Everything is unconvieniently scattered xD, but after a LONG walk i found paladin shop.
After restocking on Spears I went back to worm cave. (also found myself legs what i sold for money because the worms didn't drop loot back then when I first started killing them)
After I completed the task there were no hints what do next..

So what i did was take a random direction and go for it. My direction was north. I found a ship. I took a ride, ended up somewhere in forest. and then i started walking back to south to get closer to town, there was huge empty passage between mountains. I found some dragons on top of mountains, didn't go there. and on the passage i met dragon hatcling. i died. Good Life.

HalfLife noticed my death and suggested me to go west.

second session: ~2hours
I continued my journey. Went to west. Found an NPC. He cave me cyclops task. (kill 100 cyclopses)
I started killing cyclopses. They are slow and close range and its on open field. easy-peasy.
After i gained few levels i started doing some "*whoosh*" damage what certainly made it look like I'm making more damage. No clue where to see the formula or how it gets improved, but as i leveled up "*whoosh*" damage got bigger. Also noticed that sometimes we are getting healed out of blue by ~50 hp (no food), no clue whats up with that either.

Anyway grinded cyclopses until i ran out of spears. went back to town, bough some new spears and continued killing.
With last 7 spears i started exploring cyclops caves and found quite many Smiths. I could not explore it troughly because i ran out of spears.
When i completed the cylops task i got a nice reward and i tried several commands to squeeze out some more tasks or sentences.
All i got was: "you have done enough, get some rest"
Well if you say so.
I went town, restocked for future cyclops cave exploration and logged off. (seems like money wont be issue at start, coins are stocking up)

My suggestions:
minor UI impovement: Questlog (it doesn't work smoothly(requires too much clicking to open something) and is a little confusing)
give us some hints/guides where to go what to do.

Dude it's closed beta so such problems are expected and HalfAWAY is working on this.
I leveled a pally before he has gotten an improvement, so it was painful.. vocations still need some love.
Half is spending hours everyday improving everything and fixing bugs.
There will be a wiki btw.
More peopl are needed for testing atm to get different feedback.

Jacob, beta is what whitevo just said. Its in the beta u'll get to know what you need to edit lol.

Dude it's closed beta so such problems are expected and HalfAWAY is working on this.
I leveled a pally before he has gotten an improvement, so it was painful.. vocations still need some love.
Half is spending hours everyday improving everything and fixing bugs.
There will be a wiki btw.
More peopl are needed for testing atm to get different feedback.

Would love to join the beta but I have no idea where to apply for it :(
PM'd HalfAway about it but haven't gotten an answer yet, like 2 days ago :(

Repeating the question I asked last week I think: you said you'd launch it on the 8th of May, yet once again I haven't seen an advertisement thread a week in advance. Delaying the launch again?

Screenshots look awesome! Hoping to see alot of ya'll on.
Is tomorrow (May 8th) the launching date?

With kind regards,
Vitalie

Repeating the question I asked last week I think: you said you'd launch it on the 8th of May, yet once again I haven't seen an advertisement thread a week in advance. Delaying the launch again?
Don't make him rush things.
It's done when it's done.

third session: ~1hour
Went back to the cyclops cave to fully explore it and get some levels.
Took me about hour. I did not use map because every time i opened map it covered the HP bar. Thus the reason I might have missed something. I was told I missed behemoth.
But now I know: UI can be moved around. (finally I have map and hp bar open at the same time)
Other than that, found nothing interesting in this 1 hour.

fourth session: ~1hour
Left town from south. and started walking East.
Found new quest: kill 45 dragons.
Near there was cave, dragon inside.
Annoyingly enough there is little room to kite and Dragon lords are with normal dragon. This game rly ***** you over if you don't know where to step.
Kamil came online and offered help to kill dragons. (currently hopefully bug, only last kill gets the task done)
But the Kamil did not care about me needing dragon kills and showed me way to warlocks. Where i got 1 shotted.
Good times.
In fact then i saw something "more annoying". He was 30 lvls higer than me and did 700-900 damage per hit.
I did 20-80 damage per hit.
High chance i start testing beta with some other vocation other than Paladin.

Don't make him rush things.
It's done when it's done.

I'm not making anyone rush things, I'm just asking a simple question. He has stated 2 dates he'd launch, and then in the week following there were no further updates nor an advertisement thread. That makes me feel that I (and the other players) don't really get taken seriously. I don't mind him delaying launches if there are real problems, but he could notify us. A test server has been running for a week now, I haven't seen any updates with bugs (fixed/not fixed) or anything else.

If you promise to launch on a certain date (1st May at first, now it's 8th of May) the community should be able to rely on that promise.

I'm not making anyone rush things, I'm just asking a simple question. He has stated 2 dates he'd launch, and then in the week following there were no further updates nor an advertisement thread. That makes me feel that I (and the other players) don't really get taken seriously. I don't mind him delaying launches if there are real problems, but he could notify us. A test server has been running for a week now, I haven't seen any updates with bugs (fixed/not fixed) or anything else.

If you promise to launch on a certain date (1st May at first, now it's 8th of May) the community should be able to rely on that promise.
He never commited to a certain launch date. He just opted to launch it may 1st/8th if he has enough time to pull it off, given he has irl issues to take care of. Be assured @HalfAway takes his players seriously and delaying his projects launch date can only be due to difficult circumstances irl or due to the fact that the server isn't ready yet. As he didn't reply to your question he probably is busy with either so you are better off assuming the launch date has been postponed until these problems are fixed. There is no need for him to give yet another date he cant stick to.

Kind regards,
Damon

third session: ~1hour
Went back to the cyclops cave to fully explore it and get some levels.
Took me about hour. I did not use map because every time i opened map it covered the HP bar. Thus the reason I might have missed something. I was told I missed behemoth.
But now I know: UI can be moved around. (finally I have map and hp bar open at the same time)
Other than that, found nothing interesting in this 1 hour.

fourth session: ~1hour
Left town from south. and started walking East.
Found new quest: kill 45 dragons.
Near there was cave, dragon inside.
Annoyingly enough there is little room to kite and Dragon lords are with normal dragon. This game rly ***** you over if you don't know where to step.
Kamil came online and offered help to kill dragons. (currently hopefully bug, only last kill gets the task done)
But the Kamil did not care about me needing dragon kills and showed me way to warlocks. Where i got 1 shotted.
Good times.
In fact then i saw something "more annoying". He was 30 lvls higer than me and did 700-900 damage per hit.
I did 20-80 damage per hit.
High chance i start testing beta with some other vocation other than Paladin.

We did go to kill some warlocks but you never said anything that you don't want to kill them. Anyway those 700-800 hits were critical hits

We did go to kill some warlocks but you never said anything that you don't want to kill them. Anyway those 700-800 hits were critical hits
i did say that warlocks will kill me since i'm low level xD
No biggy, and yeah my crits are ~80 damage.

He never commited to a certain launch date. He just opted to launch it may 1st/8th if he has enough time to pull it off, given he has irl issues to take care of. Be assured @HalfAway takes his players seriously and delaying his projects launch date can only be due to difficult circumstances irl or due to the fact that the server isn't ready yet. As he didn't reply to your question he probably is busy with either so you are better off assuming the launch date has been postponed until these problems are fixed. There is no need for him to give yet another date he cant stick to.

Kind regards,
Damon

If you are opting to launch on a certain date, you have serious plans to launch on that date. If, for any reason at all, you're not able to launch at said date the very, very least you can do is atleast tell the community you won't be launching. It'll take you 5 minutes out of your day, everyone has 5 minutes to spare unless you're stuck in jail.

As I said, the test/beta server has been running for a week, I've barely seen anyone complain about anything on the server, therefor I don't see a reason to postpone a launch. Whatever he's busy with is no doubt important, but nobody can tell me you can't take 5 minutes out of 4 days to post a little update. I'm not asking for him to give a new date (if needed), I'm asking for an update on his server, because if there's no update and no launch tomorrow then no doubt this server will fail once again unfortunately.

Edit: I'm no trying to judge, be hostile to or flame anyone (especially HalfAway) here, no doubt everyone is working hard, but the direction is heading now kind of scares me. This server deserves a nice community, but a community needs updates on what is going on to stay interested.

If you are opting to launch on a certain date, you have serious plans to launch on that date. If, for any reason at all, you're not able to launch at said date the very, very least you can do is atleast tell the community you won't be launching. It'll take you 5 minutes out of your day, everyone has 5 minutes to spare unless you're stuck in jail.

As I said, the test/beta server has been running for a week, I've barely seen anyone complain about anything on the server, therefor I don't see a reason to postpone a launch. Whatever he's busy with is no doubt important, but nobody can tell me you can't take 5 minutes out of 4 days to post a little update. I'm not asking for him to give a new date (if needed), I'm asking for an update on his server, because if there's no update and no launch tomorrow then no doubt this server will fail once again unfortunately.

Edit: I'm no trying to judge, be hostile to or flame anyone (especially HalfAway) here, no doubt everyone is working hard, but the direction is heading now kind of scares me. This server deserves a nice community, but a community needs updates on what is going on to stay interested.
id say postpone, there are things to make better and it will take some time.

@mich3208 Why is it that you acctually assume the server is ready to be launched? Because the beta testers didn't decide to post everything here? Maybe it is a closed Beta for a reason? To not leak all the information?!
Another point I will just never be able to accept is that a person having nothing to do with the project states it is ready due to what he/she read. How could you possibly know what bugs are left to be fixed? In the end all you get is second hand information from beta testers who decided to share their experiences with the community.
Always keep that in mind!

Kind regards,
Damon

@mich3208 Why is it that you acctually assume the server is ready to be launched? Because the beta testers didn't decide to post everything here? Maybe it is a closed Beta for a reason? To not leak all the information?!
Another point I will just never be able to accept is that a person having nothing to do with the project states it is ready due to what he/she read. How could you possibly know what bugs are left to be fixed? In the end all you get is second hand information from beta testers who decided to share their experiences with the community.

Kind regards,
Damon
i use ingame report system where i point out problems.
I don't take the issues here in forum either.
I assume When halflife has time, he will update the thread on his own with the latest information.

Kind regards,
Damon

No, I don't assume the server ready to be launched because no testers post anything. I expect the server is ready to be launched because HalfAway announced 2 dates on which it'd launch, 8th of May being the latest and after that he hasn't given us any updates. The fact that the testers didn't post any bugs only strengthened my assumption, as that could be a sign that the server is ready to launch. So let's get it straight here: he announces a launch date is postponed for a week (from May the 1st to May the 8th), and after that posts nothing. Now tell me, why can't I expect the server to launch tomorrow?

Honestly, what you are or aren't able to accept has nothing to do with it, if a server owner doesn't update the community with new information, the community should be able to rely on the last information given. Communication is key to a good server, especially within the already small custom server playing community.What I will never be able to accept is that server owners neglect to keep their community up to date. HalfAway has been online in the past week, yet decided not to post any updates.

Sorry for not pushing updates to this thread.. I've been busy working on the reported errors/feedback I've recieved.

I've taken the feedback seriously, I'll from now on update the players alot more.

Current Changelog (just some of it)
The start NPC - The NPC will now point out where you should go when you take the missions.
NPC Updates - Both shop and mission npcs has been updated.
Fixed several map bugs.
Added Crit/Hit system. (More information about that will be posted in another statement).
Fixed a bug that caused some mages to hit alot with their runes and spells.
Fixed some bugs with the client.
Changed behaviour/attacks/heal intervals on several monsters.
Removed missplaced monsters.
Fixed misspellings in the NPC conversations.
Added a NPC that buys creature products.
Edited some quests rewards.
Added more secret quests.
Made some changes to the conjouring systems.
Website changes.
Remaped some parts that didn't look good.
Added a new location and city to expand the map abit.

Edit:
Screenshots look awesome! Hoping to see alot of ya'll on.
Is tomorrow (May 8th) the launching date?

With kind regards,
Vitalie
The release date has been postponed.
I won't post any more dates and create false hope until I really know I can launch the server on the date that has been set.

I'd like to release a "bug free" server instead of something that has been rushed.

Kind Regards,
HalfAway

Back